domingo, 27 de abril de 2014

Truth and Assumptions

The use of  certain verbs can imply the actual or probable status of events in a statement. In the sentence “I know the dog died”, the verb “know” is FACTIVE as it assigns the death of the dog as true. In “I believe the dog died”, the verb “believe” is NON-FACTIVE as the clausal object (the dog died) may not be a true fact.
Are the following statements factive or non-factive?
  • I thought that today was your birthday. Non Factive
  • I forgot that today was your birthday. Factive
  • The teacher scolded me for not studying hard enough. Factive
  • The teacher acknowledged that I hadn’t really studied. Factive
  • The teacher realized the student had cheated. Factive
  • The teacher assumed that the student had cheated. Non Factive

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario